top of page
  • Writer's pictureMary Marsh Accounting

Do you need to Register for Self-Assessment by 5th October?

Updated: Nov 19, 2019

If your only sources of income are from wages or pensions you will not usually have to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return (SATR). But you may need to complete one if you have become self-employed in the year to 5th April 2019 or have other sources of income.

Reasons to register for Self-Assessment :

1. If you started a business as a sole-trader and earned more than £1,000 in the year to April 5th 2019 then you will need to register for Self-Assessment and National Insurance contributions. You can do this for yourself online by completing Form CWF1 which can be found at

2. If you became the director of a company in the year you are required to complete a SATR.

3. And you must also register for Self-Assessment if you have a new source of income or meet the following criteria :

·Are receiving money from renting out a property

·Receive tips and commission

·Have income from savings, investments and dividends

·Receive taxable foreign income of more than £300

·Have income from a trust or settlement

·Made Capital gains on the sale of assets in excess of £11,700

·Have other untaxed income which cannot be collected through your PAYE tax code

·Have income over £50,000 and you or your partner are still receiving Child Benefit payments

·Or you’re lucky enough to have income in excess of £100,000

4. If you are paying business expenses in excess of £2,500 and your employer is not reimbursing you in full, you can obtain a refund of tax by completing a SATR.

To register for any of there reasons use From SA1 which you will find at

If you are unsure and would like to talk to me about whether or not you need to register please contact me at or call me on 0794 167 4936.

29 views0 comments


bottom of page